This capsule served as the backup spacecraft for Wally Schirra's Mercury 8 flight, known as Sigma 7. From 1959 to 1963, 20 capsules were manufactured by the McDonnell Aircraft Company of St. Louis, Missouri. Some were modified after their initial production and received a letter designation after their number. Of the 20 capsules produced, five never flew in space, including this one.
(Signage on spacecraft at KSC. (See below))
Location: Center for Early Space Exploration, KSC
Images by: Jim Gerard
In the image above the subtle difference between the original exterior and reproduction panels. About 1/10th of the exterior is original (original on left side of image, reproduction on right.)
The above images were taken after delivery but prior to installation of Plexiglas cover.
Images by: Jim Gerard 12/24/04
The installation was done using a trolley built to utilize the original carrier points of the capsule (see images below to see where the attach points are located under exterior panels).
Images by: Guard-Lee
These images are as it was received from NASM. The capsule was in excellent shape. You can see the original exterior panels in place. These remain in thier original locations.